What props should I bring to a newborn photo shoot?
- Soft, comfortable blankets
- Wraps or swaddles
- Adorable headbands or hats
- Cute baskets or other containers
- Fluffy stuffed animals
Professional newborn photographers will already have all of these items in studio and ready to go for your newborn photo session. We have a large variety of props to choose from and we're always adding to the collection. You will not need to bring anything but a sleepy baby to the newborn shoot.
How long should a newborn photo shoot take?
Generally, a newborn photo shoot takes between 2-3 hours depending on how agreeable the baby is and how many setups have planned. We allow extra time for feedings and settling the baby.
What is the best age to take newborn photos?
The best age for newborn photos is between 7-14 days after birth. During this time, babies are still sleepy and able to be posed more easily. Newborn sessions are pre-booked according to your due date to ensure a session within the ideal window of time.
What poses are safe and appropriate for newborns in photos?
Some safe and appropriate poses for newborns include the "taco" pose, the "bum up" pose, and the "chin in hands" pose. It's important to work with a experienced newborn photographer who knows how to safely pose newborns. In my studio I do not use the "froggy" pose. Although is can be done safely, I find it very unnatural and strange looking. As an artistic preference, I just do not offer it.
How can I prepare my baby for a newborn photo shoot?
- Make sure your baby is well-fed and is kept awake the morning of the photoshoot. This will give us a sleepy baby while shooting.
- Bring extra diapers, wipes, formula, milk, blankets, and pacifiers.
- Dress your baby in easy-to-remove clothing that opens in the front for ease of changing.
- Bring snacks and anything that you will need to keep mom and dad comfortable during the photoshoot
- Bring your newborn baby for the first half of the session alone. During the second half of the session your husband can bring your other children for the family and newborn photos to be captured.
How much does newborn photography cost?
Quality professional photography is considered an investment in your family's art. Prices range depending on your photographic needs. Most clients invest between $700 and $2000 for their portrait collection. We offer both full-resolution digital files, heirloom-quality printed art pieces, and packages that combine both digital files and printed art.
We are a full-service studio which means your portraits can be printed and framed, wrapped in canvas, or arranged in a beautiful heirloom album.